Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tree Huggers Cafe

Last year on Saint Patricks day, as everyone took off downtown to get drunk with the mass crowds, a girlfriend of mine and myself decided to try a Vegetarian cafe that we had heard about in Berea. 

As we walked into this little cafe that was located in a newly developed strip mall like area, we noticed there was only enough room in there for maybe 15 tables and a big bakery case.  It was cute, it was quite, and it was very bohemian.  It felt local and there were pictures on the walls of guests pets and other things posted by the people that frequent the spot.  As we sat down we asked the guy next to us who was finishing up his meal what he thought of the place.  He said he goes there a lot for the tea and atmosphere, but the special of the day, the tofu corned beef sandwhich was not a winner.  He did mention that the oat veggie burger was one of his favorites.

We skimmed the menu to find a lot of tofu options.  Some healthy smoothies, teas and the Vegan bakery.

We started with the sweet potato fries, which were great.  As my meal I got a wrap with sprouts, mushrooms, onions, avacados, beans, and a Vegan Greek dressing.  It came with a side of homemade coleslaw, which tasted like staight up cabbage.  The wrap was just ok.  

My girlfirend, by request of the guy next to us, tried the oat veggie burger with a side of a kale salad.

There was nothing good about this meal.  The burger was made with so much oat that you could barely chew the burger.  Then you add the thickness of the bun and texturaly it was all off.  The burger was dry and had no flavor.  The kale salad was nothing exciting either.

We did have some smoothies that I remember being good, but will not bring me back.  They did mention to us that as the Summer was on it's way, they have local bands that play there and it's byob, which I liked the concept of, however, the Summer has passed and I found no reason to return just for that.

Sadly, this will be one of my first posts that I will end with, I do not recommend this place!

No comments: