Sunday, September 18, 2011

Light Bistro

Last night as David and I drove around, hoping to decide on a place to eat at some point, we found ourselvs in Ohio City having to choose from one of the many favorites that surround the area.  We started with Momocho, a place I had been dying to try for some time now.  At 9:30pm, however, we were told they were at a hour to hour and a half wait for walk ins.  Obviously, I realized that we needed to return but next time with a reservation in place.  We decided that we might as well just go to Bar Cento, as we know we would not be let down.  As we were parking our car on a side street behind Daves supermarket, I noticed a guy valeting cars, I was totally distracted and of course needed to see what was going on.  As I walked over there, I noticed a small sign that said Light Bistro.  We walked in to find an empty bar, that instantly gave me the feeling of a wine bar.  The lovely gentleman at the door offered us two menus, and so we decided to give it a try since we had been debating on where to eat for like 2 hours. 

As we walked around the corner, we came to a small dinning area, with a booth that lined the wall, a few sets of tables and chairs, and a huge window that gave the room a bigger feeling and lots of character.  There were a few sets of people in there finishing up thier meals when we arrived. 


While we were looking over the menu, I noticed how many things sounded great to me.  The menu was creative and complex, not what I expected walking in, so I was pleasantly suprised.  I wanted to try so many things on the menu it was hard to choose just one.  So I didn't!  Apparently this restaurant is known for the Tapas that they offered, so I ordered a few of these instead of an entree.

David started with homemade chips, which we found to be an exciting menu option so could not turn it down.  They came in a white paper bag, are made in house, and were so yummy!  A must if you walk in just for a night cap one evening. 

I started with a crispy calamari dish.  It was fried calamari, with fried olives in a garlic aioli.

This dish was brilliant! The calamari was cooked to perfection, the batter was thin but flavorful, the olives added a robust flavor to the calamari that made each bite melt in your mouth.  The garlic aioli was sweet and creamy.  Even after that discription, I feel like it does not give this dish justice because of how much I enjoyed it.

I also started with their special drink of the evening, an Apple Tyme Martini.  I will say it was not my favorite drink but it was interesting and different and I appreciate that. 

Next I had sauteed rock shrimp with a white bean puree, fennel and toasted garlic.

This was very different and very exciting to eat.  The white bean puree resembled a mash but was thin and smoother.  The strips of fennel and red onion gave a nice pungency to the shrimp and puree.  This was a hearty meal for me, and would be perfect for a small entree. 

David ordered the beef carpaccio pizza.

Now I know I claim to be a foodie, but we both just assumed carpaccio was a cut of beef.  To our suprise and horror, it was raw meat.  David being the supporter of me that he is, tried to eat about half of it before he figured this out and could barely swallow the next bite.  To the restaurants defense, it looked and smelled interesting to those of you that like raw meat.  

For our final course, I tried one of the many side dishes that sounded appealing.  
It was a goat cheese farro.

The farro's nutty flavor was broken up nicely by the goat cheese.  This would be a great side for almost anything, or a main course for us Vegetarians. 
 Warmed up the next day, was just as good by the way, so that makes it even better.

David decided he was done with the savory items and went with a vanilla bean creme brulee, which he enjoyed so much he was prepared to order a second one.

Lastly, we concluded our quite evening out with a cup of coffee.

Overall I was pleased with our visit to what I will refer to as Ohio City's little secret!  The waiter Lance, was so sweet.  He explained several things on the menu, removed the raw meat disaster from our bill and filled me in on the wine and tapas pairing that the restaurant does on Monday nights.  I will for look forward to returning to this place and bringing along other foodies, you know who you are, so be ready! 


No comments: