Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rosewood Grill

Located near the square of Hudson, this restaurant is a must for a romantic evening or even night out with the girls.

Hudson is such a beautiful, quite little town.  I love the little square with independent restaurants and well known places that seem independent with the bit of flair the square adds to them.  I love the small shops and feeling like I am in a little town hidden away from the rest of the world.  I had never been to Hudson until I met David, and now I can not get enough of it.  The Taste of Hudson last year really opened my eyes to all the things this area has to offer.  They have a gourmet popcorn shop with over a hundred different flavors, a cute cupcake shop with liquor filled cupcakes, an all green clothing boutique, dip n dots, which is the best ice cream shop of all time, little antique shops, and other unique shops that make you feel like you are on vacation so its easier to spend money. The land itself sits on part of the underground railroad.  The houses look like they are out of a movie, with the extravagant gardens and outstanding architecture.  And of course, the restaurants that surround this area keep me coming back.  I have eaten at a few and next on my list will be Nosh as soon as they open.  But for now, I will fill you in on Rosewood Grill.

We decided to go out to Hudson a few months ago, as Summer was getting into effect.  It was starting to get nice out, but still not enough to sit outside.  The inside of this restaurant has two sides, both so different it gives you the feeling like you are at two different places.  To the left is the bar area, which could be perfect for a casual evening out, or because of the long table in the middle of the room excellent for a party.  To the right is the more dinning area.  Very much the ideal setting for a first date or romantic evening out.  This is where we sat.  The walls are covered in brick.  There are some mirrors lining the walls. It feels like you are in a wine cellar, and even if the room is filled you feel like you are the only ones in the room.  They also have a chefs table, which makes this place even better in my book.

The menu is upscale comfort food.  I will be honest there was not much on this menu that I could eat.  One thing on this menu did stand out to me.  It was a mushroom bread pudding.  I had to have this.  It was paired with some meat dish, so I just asked the waitress to explain the item to me, assuming that it was made with some sort of chicken stock or something.  To my surprise there was not.  As the waitress was asking the chef to explain the dish, he decided to make a small portion for me to try.  I was so overwhelmed that he would do that, I forgot to take a photo.  I can assure you, this was an outstanding dish.  It was creamy and moist like a bread pudding but had the wonderful pungent flavor of the mushrooms layered in each bite.  I will return to this place just for even one bite of this dish again.

What I ended up ordering was good, but no where close to amazing.

It was lobster zitti. 
Even the description was boring.  I need food with more character to it.  Again, it was good, but I could make this and it would probably taste very similar .

David enjoyed his meal though a lot, maybe even one of his favorites.  This is for sure a place for a meat eater.

He had bacon wrapped filet with gouda garlic mashed potatoes.  The potatoes alone were amazing on this dish.

I was a huge fan of the atmosphere of this place.  If I return it will be for the mushroom bread pudding, and the bar.  The bartender at the restaurant at this time had actually been involved in a contest for bartenders testing their creativity.  It was similar to the food show Chopped.  The bartenders were given a basket of mystery ingredients and while being timed they had to create a drink ready to serve.  She ended up winning this contest and so I asked her to create me a drink on the spot.  I do not remember clearly the drink she made for me, but I remember it being expensive but worth it.

No comments: